Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Monday, August 25, 2008

What This? (A Taste of Malaysia)

I had heard the food in Malaysia was fantastic. My primary goal was to try as many exotic foods as possible. Which is why my first meal was at the California Pizza Kitchen in Suria KLCC.



CPK in Malaysia tastes exactly like CPK in Los Angeles. I was shocked. You'd think that there'd be some variation on the Thai BBQ Chicken Pizza. Sadly, no.

The next day, while wandering KLCC (again), I found a breakfast place tucked away on the ground level of the mall. On display were several multi-colored pastries, each one crying out to me to choose them. I wanted to. I hadn't eaten all day. I waved to the woman at the counter, pointed to a neon-green pastry and asked, "What this?" I don't know why I spoke to her in broken English. It was a habit I picked up during my trip; asking questions, leaving out verbs, pointing a lot.

"Bingka," The woman answered. "Very sweet. Good!" I pointed at more dishes. "What this? What that one? Is good, yes?" She must have thought I was a monkey.

I picked two more dishes and a packet of rice, egg and anchovies wrapped in a banana leaf. I only chose it because other patrons were grabbing two at a time and giving me the stinkeye while I was took a whiff of the anchovies. I found out that the packet was a dish called nasi lemak, a Malaysian staple.



My entire meal cost $2 US. And it was fantastic.

If only I had found this before CPK...

----------------------
Bonus Tip: When you're in Malaysia, make sure to grab some Hainan Chicken Rice.



If this doesn't hit the spot, check your taste buds.

No comments: