Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Monday, August 4, 2008

Phuket Impressions

I wasn't there for long, but here are my impressions of Phuket:

- The airport is far from the beaches. Also, the transportation system is jacked. A taxi ride to your hotel will cost you a grip. There are, however, the minibuses that can take you for cheaper, but you make a stop at a travel agency and you're asked to purchase a tour. If you're ok with this, then by all means take the minibus. Personally, I rather not be disturbed.

- Patong Beach has a lot going on. A LOT. Winding streets are filled with noisy tourists. With tourists come bars, massage parlors and souvenir stands. Again, if you're OK with this, book your lodging in Patong. Otherwise, stay far, far away.

- Karon Beach is quiet. It caters to families and, apparently, the Swedish. The nearby streets are still complete with girlie bars and massage places, but the whole vibe is chill. I loved Karon Beach.

- Two days isn't nearly enough to "see" Phuket. There's Kata Beach, and Phuket Town. There's James Bond Island, which is intriguing just on the name alone. Had I the extra day, I would have taken a stab at snorkeling, riding a scooter, or I would have been completely daring and laid out on the beach for an extra day.


*Ahhh, good tiimes*

Phuket, I will return. I won't let you down next time. Promise.

No comments: