Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Stateside

A year ago on this day, I was riding an elephant in Chiang Mai.

Two years ago, I was on a plane to Lima, ready to hike the Sacred Trail of the Incas.

Today, I'm in L.A., minutes away from meeting with friends, watching fireworks and eating pulled pork sandwiches.

This is the first time I've celebrated Independence Day stateside in three years. I enjoyed being abroad every July 4th. It made me more aware of my place in this gigantic world. It made me proud to be an American. But it also made me more aware of cultures that are not my own.

But there's nothing like a Fourth of July BBQ. I've missed those.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Emanuel, That's an impressive collection of Fourth of July stories! I look forward to reading about your future trips & hotel stays. Cheers, Barbara @barbdelollis on twitter. blog link - hotelcheckin.usatoday.com