Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Monday, July 20, 2009

The Niche

I found this article on my twitter feed last week.

Why Travel Writers Really Need a Niche


The article suggests to "find a specific topic that you are passionate about (and no, “travel” is not specific enough), and focus on writing about that topic."

I read this article and became disheartened. While I love writing about travel, I don't have a niche. I haven't been abroad for that long to be considered an expert in anything.

While I'm sad that I can't think of a niche right away, I realize the niches are found over time. And the more I try to find a niche, the more frustrated I'll become. And the desire to write will die.

Screw that.

In the meantime, I'll keep writing, honing the craft, finding my voice. Although I will say that after some thought, I have a feeling my niche will be somewhat related to this picture:



I think I'll rename my blog "Me and the Cuy." That's pretty precise, right?

No comments: