Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Monday, December 17, 2007

Unluxurious

I've been checking out this site recently.

Rentvillas.com lets you book a villa in Tuscany or Provence or several other areas in Greece, England and Spain. These villas hold from two to twenty-four people, or even more.

The more I explored each villa, the more excited I became. How awesome would it be to get a group of friends and/or family, spend a week in the Italian countryside, eating great food, drinking new wine, and having a ball?

Each property is rated on a 5-star scale, so of course I checked out the "best" villas. And...my goodness, some of these places are just insanely lavish.

Take for instance, this property:



This is the Chateau Traffaut, located in Gironde, France. It sleeps up to 20 people and costs up to $24,000 for one week's stay. Judging by the photos, it looks very palacial. And I think I could only take staying here for one day before I would lose my mind.

While I could very well live like a King for one week, this sort of luxury travel is complete opposite of what I look for in a trip. Put me in a place that's in the middle of everything. Where the village square is footsteps away. Where the aroma from the marketplace invades my living space and makes me hungry. Where the neighboring farm animals wake me up at the butt-crack of dawn.

But knowing me, if I were to stay in such a Chateau, I'd never leave. Why would I, when I have my own pool and tennis court? And maids to wait on me hand and foot? And while the thought of such a life entices me, I prefer immersion over seclusion any day.

With that said, if anybody is down for sharing a villa with me in Italy or Spain come 2009, drop me a line.

No comments: