Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Road To Machu Picchu: Part One - Looking For Signs



As we pull out of Lima International Airport, Victor, the shuttle driver taking us to our hotel in the heart of the city, turns to me and asks, "Habla Espanol?"

I answer the way I always do when asked this question: "Un poquito." Very little. I'm being humble here, in hopes that Victor would talk to me at the very least in broken English. No luck. All Spanish, and all very very fast. It's been like that all day, from the ticket counter in LAX to the flight attendants on the plane, to Victor the shuttle driver. And finally I get to use my five years of learning Spanish to good use.

I'm able to maintain a sensible conversation with Victor. I tell him my friends and I are on way to Cusco the next day. He tells me he's been to Cusco, but not to Machu Picchu. I ask small questions here and there about this and that. He gives me recommendations for restaurants to try in Miraflores, a fancy-schmancy part of the city located by the sea. All the while, my friends and I are mesmerized by the huge billboards, run-down buildings and speedy taxis and trucks creeping insanely close by our shuttle. Shocking, to say the least.

Victor drops us off at the Sheraton in Central Lima. I say, "Gracias", he says "De nada" and just like that, I make a new friend in Lima, Peru.


*The view from my hotel room*

The first day of a big vacation is all about looking for signs. Embracing the good, and scooting the heck away from the bad. Getting all your luggage from baggage claim? Good sign. Having a reliable shuttle driver who offers suggestions on where to eat on your first night? Good sign.



Checking in your hotel, flipping on the TV, and having "La Oficina" be the first thing you see? GREAT SIGN.

But I couldn't stay too attached to Lima. I'd be back here in a week's time anyway. But I was about to get on another plane the next morning to Cusco, the capital of the Incas, where more than a few adventures were awaiting me.

I had a good feeling about this trip.

For more pics of central Lima, LarcoMar Shopping Center in Miraflores, and more, go to my flickr page here.

No comments: