Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Museum Issues



I have a confession to make.

As much as I love museums, I cannot fully enjoy them. There's too much wandering, standing around and reading tiny print. It's not that comfortable, my back always hurts and I never retain any of the info that I was supposed to pick up.

So when we went to the Archaeological and Historical Museum in Lima, Peru's capital city, I decided that I was going to try a different tactic; I would take my little journal to jot down some notes, and I would take my camera and snap a few photos.

The results were mixed.



For example, back in the day, tribes would intentionally deform the shapes of their skulls to stand out more. However, I have absolutely no idea which tribe did this. So I kinda learned something, but not really.



And take this exhibit. Just freaky. Although I don't remember if this is how he died or if they positioned him this way. Or, if he is a she. He (or she) is still kinda freaky.



Now this is taken from the part of the museum devoted to fertility-related artifacts. I spent a great deal of time in this section. I've always been fascinated by ancient cultures' views of procreation. And as you can see, those tribes native to Peru were very...open to such matters. And this was one of the tamer artifacts.

Unfortunately this is pretty much the extent to which I learned about ancient Peru. I'll probably have to go back and spend the whole day at the museum. OR I can go to Wikipedia.

But where's the fun in that?

Here are some more photos of the Archaeological and Historical Museum in Lima, along with various other pics from that day.

No comments: