Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Monday, June 18, 2007

The Test Hike



I'm not much of a hiker. The thought of walking uphill over a long distance doesn't appeal to me. And yet, with Machu Picchu looming in the distance, I figured I needed a test hike; A hike to get me all psyched up for the Inca Trail; A hike to get me pumped, to get me excited.

Mt. Baldy did the exact opposite of that.

The Mt. Baldy hike is listed here as "strenuous". I guess that's because they can't use "Will-Kick-Your-Ass". Because that is exactly how I would describe it. This hike will kick your ass and make you hate life.

On a beautiful Saturday in Southern California, some old friends and I, in an effort to prepare ourselves for our leisurely stroll in the Andes, tackled this beast of a mountain. It took five hours to get to the top. It took about two more to finish the hike. We had to take a ski-lift down to our cars to complete the hike. The ski-lift was about as terrifying, if not more so, than the actual hike.

We covered a little less than eight miles (It would have been eleven without the ski-lift). We went up 4000 feet. I fell twice. Well, actually, I tripped over my shoelaces twice. This shouldn't surprise most of you. I can't even wear hiking boots right.


*Always looking up...*

I cramped up in both legs, my calves, and my hamstrings. The last mile leading up to the top was probably the most arduous thing I've ever done. And I'm not even exaggerating. I would walk five paces and rest for thirty seconds. Meanwhile, old ladies and little children would pass me. I was humbled.

But when I reached the summit, the very last in my group, I couldn't help but feel a little triumphant.


*At 10,000 feet*

Five seconds after this picture, I collapsed in a heap. Thirty seconds after that, we were on our way down the Devil's Backbone to the ski-lifts. I'm always weary about walking down a trail named after a body part of the Prince of Darkness. And yes, this is where I tripped twice. And no, they don't put safety railings on these trails.

This hike was painful. But it was very necessary. There's some satisfaction gained from knowing that you went to the top of a mountain. I have a better understanding of what Machu Picchu will be like. I'm on my way to having quads of steel.  Plus, at the end of the hike, you can eat whatever you want because you've burned a gazillion calories.

Which is why I ended my day with an Eclair Cream Puff from Beard Papa in Arcadia.

       

So am I excited for Machu Picchu? Hell no, I'm terrified. I can't imagine hiking something like this at a higher elevation AND over the course of four days.

Thanks, Mt. Baldy. Thanks a lot.



(More pics can be found here.)

No comments: