Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Airline Fun

t's Friday night, 8:30 PM, SFO. I'm ready to check in my bag for my 10:15 flight to LAX when the lady at the Southwest ticket counter says, "There is no 10:15 flight. Can I see your boarding pass?"

I fish for my pass, hand it to her. "No, the flight's at 8:50. You might miss your flight." Well, then.

I ask her what time the next flight leaves. "9:50. You can still make this one. Gate 21. Hurry!"

Usually, I'd book it down to security, clear all my bags through the detectors in a frenzy, and sprint toward the gate. On this night, none of that. I had endured a whole week of Java talk. Four days of techie talk is enough to wear anyone down.

Expecting that I won't make my flight and will have to wait however long for the next, I lumber down to the TSA Funzone, empty my pockets, slip off my New Balance shoes and on and on.. I make it to Gate 21. The SW agents take my boarding pass. I'm the last one to check in.

As I collapsed onto my bed in my apartment, I looked up and thanked God, not because everything worked out for me, but for giving me the comfort knowing that no matter what was going to happen, I would make it home OK.

Peace of mind is underrated.

----

With that said, that was a messed up thing for Southwest to do. Is this expected? Maybe it is. And if it is, that isn't right.

No comments: