Subscribe to Travels With Eman

Google
 

Monday, September 10, 2007

L.A. Adventures: Air Conditioned Supper Club

(When I'm not traveling, I like to explore my own backyard. I don't do enough of it. Los Angeles has so much to offer. So I thought I'd post some entries detailing some of the scenes that make up this city. Enjoy.)



Most go to clubs to have fun, hook up, or get drunk. I just want to find a comfortable place to sit and people-watch. I love people watching. However, there's a fine line between people watching and eerily staring.

The club scene in L.A. is fantastic for people-watching. However, you need to be in the right frame of mind. As in, you're not there to hook up. Now if you go to drink with your buddies and clown everyone on the dance floor, that that's what I consider a fun time. Which is what I had at The Air Conditioned Supper Club in Venice.

I saw quite a few guys dancing by themselves. I've seen this before at other clubs, and I've never understood why guys do this, but then again, I don't go to clubs often, so maybe this IS a common thing. Whatever. It's weird. I also saw a bunch of guys dancing together. Well, they weren't exactly together, but in a loose circle. I didn't find it weird it all.

Other characters of note were the dude trying really hard to impress his girl with his dancing, the asian woman with absolutely no rhythm, and some guy dressed like Waldo. We found him.

And all the while, I sat on my comfy sofa, knocking back Heineken after Heineken, cracking jokes with old and new friends, and getting up a total of three times to use the can. I regret nothing. While making fun of club-goers might seem a little harsh, I did envy them a little. At least they're putting themselves on the line. At least they're in the game, while I'm content watching from the cheap seats.

I could learn a thing or two from them.

Or I could just keep sitting on the comfy sofa...

No comments: